Week 5 progress

As mentioned in the Week 4 progress report, we realised that there was an issue with the steel. We raised this issue with the builders on the Monday morning and within a few hours the steel was modified. As can be seen below, the steel post was pushed around 30cm closer to the corner with extra steel welded on. Apparently welded steel is just as strong, if not stronger, than if it was one long piece.

Just that bit wider means that from most parts of the living room the tree frames the view.

Framing starting in the kitchen area.

Mid week we also went round with the builders and discussed any other issues. One issue identified was that the waste for the kitchen sink was too far out from the wall, which would have meant we would not be able to have the planned drawers under the kitchen sink.


Water pipes (black pipes for cold water and red for hot water) were starting to be installed along with framing for the deck.

Front of house mid week.

View from the dunes mid week.

Near the end of Week 5, the window people arrived to install the window frames. This was a bit earlier than expected (only 6 weeks after the order was placed – originally told the waiting period was 12 weeks). While it would have been preferable to have the roof on before the windows, we didn’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth!

The windows are uPVC due to being so close to the water, with an 80mm uPVC architrave to give the windows a more traditional look.

Framing for the ramp completed and a few boards temporarily placed so that we could walk on them.

First fix plumbing all done. Here you can see the bathroom plumbing for the toilet and the bath.

All the framing makes the house look like it is made of sticks!


Kitchen window framing completed. Very happy with the view. You can also see that the waste plumbing for the kitchen sink has been moved into the wall frame so now out of the way from our drawers under the sink. Water pipes also installed. However, they are in the wrong place so will need to be moved slightly otherwise the dishwasher won’t fit!

Framing for the dining room French doors and window completed. Once again, loving the view.

Framing for the living room windows still a work in progress.

View from the dunes of the house …

… and view from the front.

Can’t wait for it to be finished 🙂

Week 4 progress

The build continued at a fast pace in week 4. By the middle of week 4, most of the framing was completed with the roof trusses onsite. Some of the roof trusses were delivered to the top of the framing as can be seen below.

View from top of the dunes. Lots of steel for the windows that will look over the beach and water.

Bracing being installed. Some of the bracing is with plywood and some with metal straps that are placed diagonally.

By the end of week 4 roof trusses were installed. It was great to see the full shape of the house.

View from the dunes. Still didn’t have all the framing for the windows. This was also the time when we realised that the steel closest to the corner in the living room was further out from the wall than it should be.

View of the beach house from the beach. From some parts of the beach the house is hidden behind the dunes but in other spots it is visible.

Looking down the hallway. 


Looking from the deck door area towards the water.


View from Bedroom 2 towards the beach.

View from the living room area – bliss!

Week 3 progress

In week 3 the builders worked on the subfloor. Under floor insulation was put in with yellow tongue particle board put down on top.

Normally under floor insulation is fitted with straps. However, over time insulation can sag and insects/animals can get in. To avoid this, the builders put down eaves lining boards first that the insulation then sat on. This is what our under the house looks like. 

For the bathroom and ensuite areas, the floor is dropped down to allow for a water stop.

By mid week, half of the subfloor was completed. You can see the initial steel beams for the dining and kitchen areas.

By the end of the week, the rest of the subfloor completed, the framing started and the living/dining/kitchen steels completed …. or so we thought at that time!

Now that the frame is going up you can start to see the house from the beach.

With some of the framing going up we can start to see window placement and what views we will get.

We weren’t expecting much of a view from the bathroom. However, this is view from the shower area – nice 🙂

View from the kitchen area. It will be good once the framing is in to confirm the view. Hopefully we will see that next week.

Week 2 progress

By the end of week 2 most of the subfloor beams completed.

Some of the steel beams were also put in.

The initial sewerage plumbing put in while it is easy to get under the house.

Can start to see the view from the kitchen area. Looking forward to sitting  at the breakfast bar.

Week 1 progress

On Day 1 the surveyor marked out where the piers needed to go. 

On Day 2 the marram glass was removed from the building area and a bit of the top soil was removed in parts to give a more level building space. 


A machine was then brought in to dig deep holes for the piers. Cardboard tubes were then placed in the hole so that the sand didn’t cave in. The cardboard tubes used on our build were Formatubes.

  Day 4, the holes were filled with concrete and had a metal footing put in the top.